Thursday, September 04, 2008

Week of September 7, 2008, Psalm 119: 33-40

Part of the lesson for Sunday is from Matthew 18, which includes verse 20, an often quoted verse: “… where two or three come together in My name, there am I with them.” And another part of the Scriptures for Sunday is from Psalm 119, verses 33 to 40. Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the Bible and each of the 22 sections begins with an ongoing letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The basic focus of the psalm is God’s word and the love that we have for God and for God’s word. Psalm 119, beginning with verse 33:
33 Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end.
34 Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
35 Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.
36 Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.
38 Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared.
39 Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good.
40 How I long for your precepts! Preserve my life in your righteousness.

Jesus, You are the Word made flesh. Your Word is embodied in all of who You are. Teach me, Lord. Teach me to follow Your word – Your Word to keep me safe, to encourage me, to comfort me, to build me up and strengthen me. Your Word, so much more than anything that the world can offer, is life itself when I realize that You are the Word made flesh, always with us. You are Emmanuel – God with us.

Through Your Spirit, You empower us to learn, to grow, to share our faith, our journey spiritually with others. Help us understand, Lord. Help us to grow, Lord. Help us to share, Lord.

Thanks, Jesus, for Your love, Your joy, Your presence with us always. Amen.

May the Lord bless you as you go on your way. May He go before you to show you the way. May He go behind you to encourage you. May He go beside you to guide and befriend you. May He always be above you to watch over you. And may He be within you to give you peace.

In the name of the Father and of the Son of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

You may leave a message or prayer request by emailing me at: peacewm@tds.net.

May God be with you now and always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home